If you’re looking to alternate between sitting and standing during your workday, a standing desk converter is the next best option to a height-adjustable standing desk. Before we jump in to discover the best standing desk converter for your needs, let’s look into why you need a standing desk or a standing desk converter.
1. What is a standing desk converter?
A standing desk converter is an adjustable desktop riser that helps you work while sitting as well as standing. The desktop riser has a built-in mechanism to easily raise or lower the height of your workstation to an appropriate height while sitting or standing.
2. Why do you need a standing desk or desk converter?
Let’s face it. Our jobs today are nothing like the jobs of the past. Quite a few jobs today can be accomplished without having to even step away from your desk.
Prolonged sitting over time can weaken your back muscles, contract the abs and impact your posture. It may also lead to painful conditions such as Piriformis Syndrome (aka Sciatica) and Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction.
A good balance of sitting and standing in the range of 1:1 and 1:3 will ensure that you don’t run into those painful conditions. Alternating between sitting and standing has been proven to offer many benefits such as weight loss, improved concentration, and productivity.
3. What should you look for when picking the best standing desk converter?
Besides the obvious looks and adjustability, there are a few other factors that need to be considered when picking the best standing desk converter.
- Ease of Operation: Whether it’s a manual standing desk converter or an electric standing desk converter, it’s important that raising and lowering should be effortless. With a light pull or a touch you should be able to operate the sit-to-stand desk converter, given that you may have to use this operation a few times during your workday.
- Ergonomics: Proper ergonomics require that you’re at an arms length from the screen and the keyboard shelf at a 90-degree angle. So the ability to adjust the position of the screen and the keyboard shelf to the perfect adjustment is highly desirable.
- Operational Space: It’s desirable that the desktop has space to accommodate a large monitor or dual monitors besides some space for a mug and a notebook. You also want to make sure that the keyboard shelf offers ample space to accommodate a large keyboard and a mouse comfortably.
- Adjustable Range: If you’re up to 6-feet tall, most standing desk converters should be able to serve your purpose. However, if you’re taller than 6-feet, the height to which you can raise the desk riser becomes a crucial consideration.
- Weight: One of the biggest advantages of using a desk converter is portability. Other than your home office desk, you can turn any flat surface (such as dining table or kitchen island) in to a standing desk. A lightweight standing desk converter is perfect in such situations.
- Noise: You don’t want to be scared or scare the people in the room with weird noises each time you raise or lower your desk. A noiseless and smooth operation can offer it’s own bit of peace of mind.
4. Who makes the best standing desk converters?
In a very crowded market, Flexispot and Vivo offer a great many options in picking the best sit-stand desk converter. However, there are many other options that make for very good contenders.
5. Are standing desk converters worth it?
If you want to make a positive change to your work environment, a standing desk is the first thing you want to start with. While a full height-adjustable sit-stand desk is recommended, a desktop riser can be a great start on a budget.
With an understanding of the rationale behind choosing a standing desk converter, let’s take a look at the best standing desk converters you can buy in 2021.
Best Standing Desk Converters
1. Hassett Height Adjustable Desk Riser
Standing desk risers are seen as budget-friendly alternatives to height adjustable standing desks. And this could be the reason that the aesthetics in many of them take a back seat. But this standing desk converter with an adjustable Z design does not disappoint when it comes to style.
With a steel top in powder-coated finish and base in metal, it also features a distressed look for better design aesthetics.
At first, you may feel that this standing desk is very heavy but then you’ll realize that this heaviness is what gives it stability. Sturdy and stable, this standing desk from Wayfair has large enough space for your laptop and mouse.
For ease of use, this one comes pre-assembled. Further, while working you can easily transition it from a flat position to a height of 15″ and vice versa. One of the most reasonably priced standing desk converters, this is under $100. Buy this Now.
Related Read: Best Affordable Standing Desks to Buy Right Now
2. FlexiSpot AlcoveRiser
Compact and well-suited for laptops, this 28″ desk converter from FlexiSpot is as elegant as they come. In an all-black finish, this desk riser features a stable base and a removable keyboard tray.
With a single-hand adjustment, you can raise this desk converter up to 20″ in height. Due to its small footprint, it also offers portability so you can convert any surface into a standing desk. For under $100, this is the best standing desk converter for small spaces. Buy this Now.
3. Vivo Stand Up Desk Riser
If you need more desktop space, then this unit from Vivo is probably the best standing desk converter you can consider. Available in 36″ and 42″ desktop sizes, it’s perfect for dual monitor/laptop setups.
Priced under $200, this large standing desk converter comes in black, dark wood, light wood, and white finishes. Easy to assemble, this desk riser can lift up to 33 lbs and rise up to 17″ in height. Buy this Now.
4. ClassicRiser Corner Standing Desk Converter
The ClassicRiser, with a 41″ desktop size is the answer if you’re looking for a great corner standing desk converter. Sturdy, stable, spacious, and with a removable extra-wide keyboard tray, the ergonomic design delivers whether sitting or standing.
This top-rated adjustable desk converter from Flexispot comes in black and white finishes for an aesthetic fit with your office furniture. With a lift capacity of 35 lbs to a maximum height of 20″, this desk riser is ideal even for tall people. Buy this Now.
5. Bublitz Height Adjustable Desk Converter
With a contemporary design in all-black, this desk converter from Symple Stuff is ideal for your home office setup. The stable base with a desktop size of 32″ is ideal for a small writing desk.
This desk riser can rise up to 20″ with just the pull of a single lever. Made of black powder-coated steel frame and manufactured wood desktop and keyboard tray shelf, it has a lift capacity of up to 33 lbs. Buy this Now.
6. Aesthetic Sit Stand Workstation
Compact and well-suited for small spaces, this 30″ height adjustable workstation from FlexiSpot has a distinct design. In a dark gray finish, this desk riser features an integrated keyboard shelf and containers for storing pens and pencils.
With a single-hand adjustment, you can raise this adjustable desk converter up to 18.5″ in height. Priced at just under $200, this is another great standing desk converter for small spaces. Buy this Now.
7. Vivo Electric Standing Desk Converter
If you need alternating between sitting and standing multiple times in a day, then you’ll appreciate the convenience of an electric desk riser. With 36″ desktop space, this electric standing desk converter from Vivo is just what you need.
Easy to assemble, this all-black desk riser can lift up to 33 lbs and rise up to 19″ in height with electric adjustment. It also features a USB port for keeping your devices fully charged. Buy this Now.
8. Flexispot AlcoveRiser
The AlcoveRiser motorized standing desk converter with a 40″ desktop size is a great choice if you’re looking for a spacious option. Sturdy, stable, spacious, and with a removable extra-wide keyboard tray, the ergonomic design delivers whether sitting or standing.
This adjustable desk converter from Flexispot comes in a black finish with a contemporary aesthetic. With a lift capacity of 55 lbs to a maximum height of 20″, this electric desk riser features a removable keyboard tray and integrated cable management. Buy this Now.
9. Quickstand Eco
If you’re looking for a minimalistic, contemporary desk riser, this single monitor standing desk converter from Humanscale is a great pick. Ergonomically designed for comfort and utility, this adjustable desk is made of eco-friendly materials for daily safe use.
Available in white and black, this desk riser has a lift capacity of 35 lbs and can rise up to 18.6″. However, at just under $500, this desk riser is on the expensive side. Buy this Now.
10. Vetri Adjustable Desk Converter
Here’s an innovative standing desk converter that serves as a movable standing desk. With a contemporary design and small footprint, the rolling casters let you move your desk around.
Adjustable up to 41″, this standing desk has a desktop width of 28″ width and 17″ depth making it ideal for laptop use. This under $500 standing desk is available in black and white laminate desktop finishes with the base in silver finish. Buy this Now.