Superfoods for weight loss is a hot trend of late. But before you jump on this trend, it’s important to get to know your weight loss superfoods so you can make the most of the many benefits they have to offer.
Losing weight is not about your body alone, it’s about your mind as well. The body deals with fat storage, water retention, inflammation, slow metabolism and such. The mind fights the endless cravings, hunger pangs, boredom eating and comfort eating.
Diet and exercise are the best and time tested tools to deal with these issues. Adding the third dimension (superfoods for weight loss) to your diet could be a game changer. Superfoods have the power to control your cravings, burn fat, make you feel good and kick up your metabolism.
Here’s the list of top 10 superfoods for weight loss and pick the ones that suit you best.
1. Superfoods for Weight Loss – TeffTeff, the tiniest grain in the world is packed with high protein and fibre content. This high content not only gives it a low calorie count but also helps control appetite. An excellent balance of amino acids and high levels of calcium and iron is the added bonus. Bread made out of this gluten-free seed is the staple of Ethiopia.
How to consume Teff: Teff has a nutty taste and texture that can add a new dimension to your recipes. You can use it in porridge, pancakes, burger patties, chocolate chip cookies and brownies. All you need to do is replace your regular flour with Teff grain flour. Buy This Now.
2. Weight Loss Superfoods – Dark ChocolateIf you can’t stay away from sweet, salty and fatty foods, you need to start gorging on dark chocolate. It will take care of those cravings. The healthy fats in it slow down the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream and prevent it from turning into fat. It also helps in reducing the hunger pangs. Go for the dark chocolate made up of at least 70% cacao sans sugar and milk.
How to consume Dark Chocolate: Eat 2 ounces (two small pieces) a day of dark chocolate with a minimum content of 70% cacao. Or if you can bake, you can add this to cakes, cupcakes, brownies and other desserts. Buy This Now.
3. Superfoods for Weight Loss – Flax Seeds
Flax seeds, as you may already know, have high Omega-3 fatty acids and dietary fiber content. The Omega-3 fats increase the metabolism and fibre digests food faster. The result is a full satisfied tummy for a longer period. Flax seeds also attack inflammation and constipation – two culprits of weight gain. Considered as one of the best foods for weight loss, flax seeds are also rich in vitamins, minerals and iron.
How to consume Flax Seeds: Add flax seeds to your morning smoothies, salads or soups. You can also put freshly ground flax seeds to your doughs for making breads. A word of caution: The powdered flax seeds tend to oxidize in a few hours. So if you need to use flax seeds in powdered form, grind it just before using for maximum benefits. Buy This Now.
4. Superfoods for Weight Loss – Moringa Powder
The leaves of Moringa tree from India are not just weight loss supplement. They’re your complete weight loss program. They make you lose water, fats, body inflammation and cravings. The antioxidants in it fight fat and inflammation. The rich nutrients reduce your cravings. And this natural diuretic also takes care of water retention and feeling of bloating.
How to consume Moringa Powder: You can drink it as tea or add moringa leaves powder to your smoothie. Moringa leaves can also be used in salads like other leafy greens. To avoid any digestive problems, you can introduce this to your diet slowly and gradually. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon would be safe to start with. Buy This Now.
5. Weight Loss Superfoods – Hemp SeedsWhen a superfood has nine essential amino acids, you know your protein needs are met. The proteins work on stabilizing energy and blood-sugar levels curbing your cravings. Low carbs and higher omega 3 fatty acids in these seeds further add to the anti-obesity effects. So it’s safe to say that Hemp seeds are one of the best superfoods for rapid weight loss.
How to consume Hemp Seeds: You can make hemp seeds butter as it is lower in carbs than almond or peanut butter. Or add the seeds in your shakes, salads, yogurts, cereals or in just about any recipe to add a slightly nutty flavor. Light toasting can do wonders to the Hemp seeds taste. You can also eat them on the go, just raw. Buy This Now.
6. Weight Loss Superfoods – Matcha Green Tea PowderIf you’ve been drinking green tea almost every hour to lose weight, you need to read further. One glass of Matcha is equal to ten glasses of green tea. Matcha green tea powder is finely ground from exotic Japanese green tea leaves. Just like the original green tea leaves, Matcha green tea leaves block fats and help you lose weight, just more intensely. It is a natural supplement that makes you calm, alert and happy within a few minutes of consumption.
How to consume Matcha: Make the regular green tea or try Matcha Latte. It can take you a while to get used to the taste. Buy This Now.
7. Superfoods for Weight Loss – Goji BerriesGoji berry has been a part of food and medicine in the Eastern world. It recently caught attention of the western world for it’s nutritional value. These nutrient rich berries contain a low glycemic index with 21% fibre content. High fiber content helps in controlling blood sugar and appetite. Additionally, Chromium in Goji berries helps you maintain lean muscle mass and burn body fat faster too.
How to consume Goji Berries: The taste of goji berries is a mix of raisin, cherry and cranberries. You can eat them raw (just a handful) or add them to your cereals and desserts. You can also try the Goji berry tea. Buy This Now.
8. Superfoods for Weight Loss – Chia SeedsYou may remember chia seeds from your instagram or pinterest account. Recipes containing chia seeds have become a rage on social media channels. A popular belief is that they control your appetite and promote weight loss. And that’s because two tablespoons of Chia seeds give you 10 grams of fibre. Rich in Omega-3, protein and calcium, you may want to add it your diet anyway.
How to consume Chia Seeds: Soaked chia seeds expand in water giving you a gel like texture with almost neutral taste. And this is the reason why it blends with various recipes. So go ahead and top your smoothies, oatmeals, yogurts with fully expanded chia seeds. Buy This Now.
9. Superfoods for Weight Loss – Coconut OilAll saturated fats are bad is a myth and coconut oil breaks that myth. Despite having saturated fats, it helps you drop the unwanted calories. Coconut oil has beneficial lauric acid, which is a healthy medium-chain fatty acid. Instead of being stored as fat in the body, this fatty acid is immediately converted into energy. It boosts your metabolic rate for almost 24 hours post consumption.
How to consume Coconut Oil: You can eat 2 to 3 tablespoons of melted virgin Coconut Oil per day. The easiest way to do this would be consuming 1 tablespoon before breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can also drink warm water with one tablespoon of melted coconut oil mixed in it. Or add it to your smoothies, replace butter with it for baking or roast vegetables in it. Buy This Now.
10. Weight Loss Superfoods – Green Coffee Bean ExtractGreen Coffee beans were brought to the world’s attention by an American TV Doctor and a famous health guru, Dr. Oz. He claimed these to be an effective weight loss supplement. Coffee beans are rich in Chlorogenic Acid before they are roasted to be sold. This Chlorogenic Acid in the raw unroasted beans helps you lose weight. The unroasted coffee beans in their natural form are now referred to as green coffee beans.
How to consume Green Coffee Bean Extract: Make Coffee and have a cuppa after each meal for maximum benefits. Buy This Now.